Can disposable diapers be reused?
It depends on what you meant by the word “reusing”.
You cannot reuse a dirty disposable diaper for two main reasons.
- It’s gross
- Disposable diapers are not designed in such a way that you can make double use.
However, if the diaper is not wet yes, it can be used in that case.
Sometimes it can be worn twice if it’s not wet and dirty. If the clean-up cost is not more than the cost of a diaper you can use it again. There is an issue with reusable diapers. The price of cleaning will be nearly the same as the cost of a diaper. So keeping the price difference is a difficult thing.
A diaper can be safely reused if it is not soiled or wet. There are sticky tabs on the diaper so that they can be used again. If the diaper is wet a little bit it can be used again.
- The chances of the rash will increase in the case of reuse. Reused diapers can also be the cause of infection as well. When the urine breaks down, ammonia is produced this is not good for the baby’s skin. Even though it is absorbed, but still it can cause problems.
- If your diaper contains feces in it never think of using it again. If you can remove the urine and feces from the diaper safely your diaper will be no longer sanitary. Diapers contain chemicals that absorb the urine. If you easily remove the chemical padding and clean the outer of the diaper you can make it reusable. Once the urine, feces, and chemical padding are cleaned, it is safe to use it again.
Lots of individuals have been seen that are doing this. They are utilizing disposable diapers again. You can repeat the process number of times as long as you are not devastating the diapers.
There are some “guts” available in the market that can help you to do this job safely and properly.
- The problem is they are too demanding they run out very quickly. The fabric cushioning of the diaper is very difficult to wash once it is ruined.
After reading these facts now ask this question by yourself whether it is suitable to reuse a disposable diaper or not? You will get the answer.
Few important statistics on diaper reuse
- About 95 percent of moms still use the disposable variety. (thebump.com)
- 1 out of 3 families struggles to buy diapers for their babies. There are some families that purchase the diapers but they cannot change it after a few hours because they can’t afford to do this. Most families tend to reuse a diaper when they can’t afford it as the prices of the diapers are too high.
- Some families tend to leave their babies in a disposable diaper for 8-12 hours. Again, the reason is the same they cannot afford a diaper every 3 to 4 hours.
There is a solution to this problem. You can use a cloth diaper instead of a disposable diaper. A cloth diaper is a traditional way. It was used by your mother or grandmother. If your baby is potty trained you can easily use the cloth diapers. They can be used for a long period of time. So you don’t have to invest again and again.
Cloth diapers have given hope to lots of modern families. You can make cloth diapers by yourself. It is not necessary that you should buy a new cloth diaper from the market. If you can’t afford that you can use your own clothes to build your home-made cloth diaper. Another safe and economical option is reusable nappies. You can buy a new nappy from the market.
How to reuse diapers
Wash it until the yellow has gone and there is no smell left behind. Dry it properly, and it will be used for long times without any further investment as we do on diapers.
You can wash the diaper to make it reusable. But doing this one thing should be in your mind that cleaning costs should always be less than the actual diaper cost. If cleaning cost is more or equal to the worth of a diaper than you are just wasting your time nothing else. There is no issue in using a diaper again if it is washed properly. Sometimes there are feces and too much urine in the diaper so in that case it is not recommended to reuse the disposable diaper.
It is controversial whether a disposable diaper can be reused or not. There are different thoughts regarding this. Some people say if you can afford expensive mobiles and the internet packages they why you can’t afford a fresh and new diaper for your baby? That’s not the case with every family.
Everyone wants to see their kids healthy and happy and they love to do whatever they can for their smile. You can use the disposable diaper again if it is not too wet or poopy. If the diaper is not soiled much it can be reused again. If the dry is a little bit wet it can be used again.
If you can make it sanitary after cleaning and can safely remove all the feces and urine it is safe for use again. You don’t want to put your kids at stake. It can be a source of rash or skin infection. Take care of all these factors then take a decision whether you want to reuse it or not.
As far as the environment factor is concerned it is better to reuse the diaper. It is not easy to burn the diaper, they are non-biodegradable. It is difficult to dispose of them. Keeping the cost factor and environment in mind it will be a good choice to reuse the disposable diaper if it is not too soiled and wet. This will reduce pollution and saves money as well. If you don’t want to do these then go for cloth diapers?
Efforts have been made to get the information as accurate and updated as possible. If you found any incorrect information with credible source, please send it via the contact us form
Family Man. He is a family man and married with 1 child. Spent countless nights changing diaper and surprised how outdated diapers are. Nevertheless, there is no solution yet as a parent, just want to research more about diapers.
Read His Personal Blog
Be first to know in our weekly newsletter!