Cloth Diaper Buying Guide
According to Diaperdecisions.com, cloth diapering from birth to age 2.5 can run from a total of $381 (for prefolds and covers), including the cost of washing, to $1,468 (for hybrids), while disposables would cost about $2,577.
This buying guide is a beginner guide to cover some questions related to cloth diapers and useful information from various sources.
What to Do With Soiled Diapers
Comparing cloth diapers with easily disposable diapers, did you know disposable diaper packages also ask you to shake solids off into the toilet? I doubt any parent with disposable diapers do so, including myself.
With cloth diapers, you do not have a choice and diaper sprayers are very helpful with removing solids and you can usually just turn the diaper inside out and give it a few shakes.
Do You Need Diaper Sprayer For Dirty Diapers?
A diaper sprayer is not required if you do not mind the stains. Before your baby eats solids, as you can just throw the diaper into your diaper pail for newborns and a cold rinse will remove the poop with slight stains. After your baby starts solids, you can shake off what you can into the toilet before placing the diapers into the diaper pail. Another option is to use biodegradable, flushable liners. You can just remove the liner, poop and all, and drop into the toilet.
If you want the diaper to remain stain-free, use a diaper sprayer and leave your diaper almost dripping wet when placing it into the diaper pail. Keeping it wet until wash day will minimize staining.
Why Use Cloth Diapers
These are some facts found across sources regarding disposable and cloth diapers:
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average baby uses 8,000 diapers, creating a staggering (and stinky!) 3.6 million tons of municipal solid waste every year.
- Additionally, it's estimated to take between 250 and 500 years for a single disposable diaper to break down in a landfill.
- Did you know it takes an estimated 500 years for disposable diapers to decompose?
- The amount of water usage estimated for cloth diapering one child from birth to potty training is about 10,000 gallons.
- About 8 percent of parents report changing diapers less frequently to make their supply last longer, according to a 2013 survey by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
This buying guide scanned the following sources:
- The Modern Mom's Guide to Cloth Diapering (parents.com) - Ditching disposables is easier than you might think! If you're considering reusables, check out our guide to the different types of cloth diapers.
- Cloth Diapering 101: Everything You Need to Know (mamanatural.com) - Cloth diapering is easier to do than you may think, and using cloth diapers will save you a ton of money over disposable diapers. Here's the full scoop!
- Cloth Diapers 101: How to Use Cloth Diapers (thebump.com) - Read The Bump guide to learn how to use cloth diapers on baby, including the different styles available and how to wash cloth diapers after use.
- Lazy Mom's Guide to Cloth Diapering (alphamom.com) - If you have to carry diapers around in your handbag, why not get ones that coordinate with your shoes? .
- The Ultimate Guide to Cloth Diapers - The Military Wife and Mom (themilitarywifeandmom.com) - I bought some cloth diapers when I was pregnant with my son Jameson. After he was first born, I felt too overwhelmed with the thought of using them. I gave them a try after settling
- Cloth Diapers: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide (bestclothdiapers.net) - aka cloth diapering 101. Everything you need to know about cloth diapers. How many should you buy? How do you wash the dang things? What about poopy smells...
- Your Ultimate Cloth Diaper Buying Guide (thekidspoint.com) - Your Ultimate Cloth Diaper Buying Guide Parents more than anyone else understand that cloth diapers have had quite a ride. They are seen as dirty and old-fashioned ever since they were replaced by disposable diapers. However, they are slowly gaining popularity and now come in different styles to cater to different requirements of both …
- Best Diaper Buying Guide - Consumer Reports (consumerreports.org) - Looking for the Top Diapers? Read our Diaper Buying Guide from the experts at Consumer Reports you can trust to help you make the best purchasing decision.
- Cloth diapers: A quick guide to your choices (babycenter.com) - Get an overview of the types of cloth diapers available, including prefolds, all-in-ones, pocket diapers, and more, plus other cloth diapering products from liners to wet bags.
- Cloth diapers buying guide (Before You Buy series) (babycenter.com) - Watch and learn about your cloth diaper options.
- Cloth Diapers - Best All Natural Cloth Diapers (grovia.com) - Modern, high-quality & eco-friendly reusable cloth diapers from GroVia. From Hybrids to All-In-One diapers that fit newborn to toddler. Shop now!
- Cloth Diapers 101: How to Get Started (wellnessmama.com) - Cloth diapers are a great way to save money and avoid harsh chemicals, but getting started can be overwhelming. These tips can help you save time and money.
- All About Cloth Diaper Absorbency - Diaper Absorbency Guide ... (grovia.com) - Learn all about cloth diaper absorbencies with our guide. Understand what absorbency options and materials are best for you. Read our cloth absorbency guide today!
- How to Buy Cloth Diapers - The Natural Baby Company (thenaturalbabyco.com) - Buying cloth diapers can be overwhelming for new parents. This guide explores how to buy cloth diapers, what types of cloth diapers are right for you and your baby, and how to make this decision that will impact your pocketbook and the environment.
- Top 10 Best Cloth Diapers Reviews and Buying Guide (mamasweetie.com) - Skip intro? See The Top 10 Best Cloth Diapers of The Ultimate Guideline for Top Ten Best Cloth Diapers Are you among those who would need baby cloth
- Tara's "If I Could Cloth Diaper All Over Again" Buying Guide ... (paddedtushstats.com) - This article is part of our 'If I could cloth diaper all over again' series where we talk all about what we would buy if we could start cloth diapering all over again. This series includes posts from both of us on what cloth diaper products we would recommend if we could do it all over again, as well as the results from our 'If I could cloth diaper all over again' survey completed by readers here at Padded Tush Stats. Since I have tried over 200 cloth diapering products and have cloth diapered two children at stages of newborn,
- Washing Cloth Diapers - The Complete Guide - Simple & Effective ... (jilliansdrawers.com) - It's easy! Instructions on a wash routine, how to get rid of smells, detergent guidelines, and stripping away detergent residues. Expert advice since 2005!
- How Many Diapers Do I Need? A Guide to Stocking Up (healthline.com) - From newborn through potty training, you'll go through a lot of diapers. So how many newborn diapers do you need? What about the other sizes? And are there ways to save on diapers? Learn all this - and more - right here.
Efforts have been made to get the information as accurate and updated as possible. If you found any incorrect information with credible source, please send it via the contact us form
Family Man. He is a family man and married with 1 child. Spent countless nights changing diaper and surprised how outdated diapers are. Nevertheless, there is no solution yet as a parent, just want to research more about diapers.
Read His Personal Blog
Be first to know in our weekly newsletter!