Do Babies That Wear Cloth Diapers Get Diaper Rash More Than Those That Use Disposable Diapers
It is important not to get a diaper rash. It causes pain and discomfort to the baby. Both cloth and disposable diapers can cause a rash. As long as the inside of a wet diaper is warm, dark and wet, bacteria and yeasts grow. Therefore, prevention is the key to success as you cannot rely completely on any diaper types.
It is better to control beforehand. Use the diaper according to the size of the baby. Do not increase the time of the diaper. It can cause adverse reactions to the baby’s skin. High absorbent quality of disposable diaper makes it more prone to create a diaper rash. The important thing is the hygiene and health of the baby.
The baby’s skin is soft and very sensitive. When a baby is born he is prone to get any kind of problem. Babies go through many phases when they come in contact with different things. Their tummy gets upset sometimes when they eat certain things. Their skin gets irritated when they wear certain clothes. They get a rash at least once when they wear a diaper. At the age of 8- 12 months, babies spend their time on their back and butt. This causes the interaction of the diaper with the skin more often. This interaction can cause irritation which creates rashes.
There are many different types of diapers in the market. It depends on the choice of the mother which she likes to use. Both disposable and re-useable diapers are present. Many moms like to use the re-useable type because it is cheap and safe to use. On the other hand, many moms prefer a more convenient disposable diaper. Both are equally in practice. Disposable diapers and reusable diapers have their pros and cons. We will be discussing their health and comfort level.
They come in different sizes and shapes. There is a large variety of them. They are airy and babies move easily in them. They are re-usable. It makes them budget-friendly. There is a certain amount of economic pressure on everyone while buying something. It is cheap.
- Flat diapers
- Pre fold diapers
All of these types are readily available in the market.
- They are cheap. It will cost you $800-1000 for two years.
- They are environmental-friendly.
- Washable and easy to dispose of.
- It is gentle on babies skin
- Strips and snaps keep the poop intact.
- They require a lot of detergent and electricity to wash them.
- You have to scoop the poop out yourself
- When it gets wet it should be removed as soon as possible.
Many moms prefer to use them. It is convenient to use them. They are present in the market by the name of various brands. Such as pampers or HUGGIES etc.
- It is highly convenient to use them and toss them away.
- They are breathable and absorbent.
- Due to chemicals in it, it is not eco-friendly.
- Dyes and gels can irritate.
- They can prove to be highly costly. They cost $2000-3000 per two years.
Causes of diaper rash in disposable and re-usable diapers:
- Moisture: The skin remains in contact with urine and poop. It irritates baby butt. The acidity of bowel and urine may vary. The high acidic pH can cause a rash. Re-usable diapers are more prone to cause this rash.
- Friction: A baby sits on his butt for a long time. It creates friction between the wet diaper and baby skin. Due to it the skin gets red and creates a rash. It mostly occurs in a disposable diaper.
- Role of allergens: The rash may occur due to the reaction of wet wipes, detergents or elastic in plastic pants. It can be caused by both types of diapers.
- Yeast infection: candida is a fungal microorganism. It loves to live in moist places. This fungal infection can cause a bright red rash. It can form in both, the disposable and the reusable diapers.
Prevention of Diaper rash:
- It vanishes when you give time to the skin to breath. They move away permanently when a baby stops using a diaper.
- When you are changing a diaper, give it a minute to rest and make sure that the skin is dry.
- Disposable diapers are highly absorbent but it is better to change them after a few hours.
- Wash your hands and baby’s butt carefully. Hygiene is the priority.
- One of the effective ways to prevent the rash is to increase the naked time of the baby. The more time a baby spends without the diaper, the better his skin becomes.
- Try to avoid baby wipes. Wash the skin with warm water. Alcohols or perfumes in the wipes can cause the skin to burn.
- Always use a diaper cream when changing the diaper. You can also go for a barrier layer to prevent the rash.
Symptoms of a diaper rash:
A diaper rash is located under the area of the diaper. It can be between the fold of the skin or at the bottom.
Treatment for a diaper rash:
Proper skincare is important for treatment.
- Either you use a reusable or a disposable diaper, change it more often.
- Use only mild soap to wash the baby.
- Before putting on the diaper make sure that the skin is dry.
- Some foods can enhance the rash. Avoid those foods until the rash goes.
- Zinc oxide is an effective barrier for the rash.
- Use antifungal creams and medicines if fungal infection occurs.
- In case of bacterial infection, try using an antibiotic ointment or a cream.
- You can go for a mild ointment course of any steroid cream.
Things to remember:
A diaper rash disappears away on its own. It will remain as long as a child wears a diaper. It can be caused due to re-usable and disposable diapers. Once the child gets potty trained, only then the rash goes permanently.
Efforts have been made to get the information as accurate and updated as possible. If you found any incorrect information with credible source, please send it via the contact us form
Family Man. He is a family man and married with 1 child. Spent countless nights changing diaper and surprised how outdated diapers are. Nevertheless, there is no solution yet as a parent, just want to research more about diapers.
Read His Personal Blog
Be first to know in our weekly newsletter!