How to Keep Wet Bag from Smelling?
What is the best way to keep wet bag from smelling? The best thing you can do to keep wet bag from smelling is to place in a cool and well-ventilated area after washing. Do not store dirty diaper in a closed wet diaper bag for more than 3 days.
When you start a cloth diapering journey, you will have to take a few things into account.
After selecting the right cloth diapers for your baby, the first and most important thing is storage. You won’t be washing every day, so what will you do? You will place them in a wet bag, and everybody wants to know how to keep a wet bag from smelling? Diaper storage is simple, and you can prevent smelling by following some simple tips.
Steps to Prevent Wet Bag from Smelling
You can prevent smelling by following the below-given simple steps.
Step 1 Check if Wet or Dirty
First of all, check whether the diaper is just wet or dirty? If the diaper is just wet, then the storage is easy. Store the wet diaper in a handing diaper pail in the open air. You don’t have to do anything else for now. Get these diapers and place them in a wet bag for 2-3 days. Wash these diapers, dry them, and your diapers are ready for reuse. You can make it easier by throwing the wet bag into the washer along with diapers.
We would recommend hanging style diaper bags. The purpose of such bags is to save storage. They take less space and hang from a closet, doorknob, wreath hanger over a door or bathroom towel bar. It would be great if you can keep them away from pets and kids.
However, if you want to choose the diaper pail route, you can use a traditional diaper pail, washable pail liner, Ubbi pail, and laundry basket. Choose the method that works best for you. Store your diapers until the wash day and protects them from direct sunlight and heat vents. Leave them in the open air rather than sealing it off and doing this helps smell down.
Step 2 Remove Solid Waste First
For example, the diaper you want to store is dirty; you will have to perform one extra step. Remove any solid present in the diaper in the toilet and then put them in a wet diaper bag.
If your baby is breastfeeding, there won’t be much volume of solid to knock off. So newborn breastfed baby diapers can be directly placed in a wet bag. When the baby grows, you need to have diaper cleaners for quick cleanup. However, it is optional to have a diaper sprayer. The main idea is to get solids out of the diaper, and the rest of the process will be performed in a washing machine.
Pro Tips for Keeping the Wet Bag from Smelling
- Ensure that you have two large handing wet bags and pail liners. One is needed for collecting diapers, and the other will be used in washing.
- If you are going for a travel, keep a couple of small-sized wet bags for changing diapers on the go.
- It is ideal to have double pocket travel bags, and these are convenient because of two separate zip pockets. You can keep wet diapers and liners in one pocket and the dirty stuff in the other pocket.
- Try to let the air circulate. Otherwise, a closed wet bag or pail will increase odor and mold when you let the diapers sit for a long time between washings.
- The best thing you can do to keep diapers from smelling is to place a wet bag in a cool and well-ventilated area. Keep it away from direct sunlight and heat. An open wet diaper bag smells less.
- Don’t soak your diapers in water or any other solution between washings. It is not necessary because we have great washing machines. Soaking can reduce the lifespan of cloth diapers because it’s not good for elastic.
- If you have curious kids or pets, choose hanging diaper bags or use a wreath hanger to hang over a door.
- When you feel the diaper journey is over, these large wet bags can act as laundry bags, toy storage, and water-resistant storage for camping gear. Travel size wet bags can be used as swimsuits. Moreover, you can use them for protecting the phone, laptop, and other valuable items from splashes and sand at the beach.
How Many Days Can You Store Dirty Diapers?
Ideally, a dirty diaper shouldn’t be stored for more than three days. If you are storing them for more than three days, it can lead to the growth of germs and mold and stains can set in. It is recommended to wash your cloth diapers every two days.
You just need to have two wet bags so that you can use them in rotation. Remember, it is equally important to wash the wet bags as it is important to wash wet or dirty diapers. However, it is a matter of personal preference.
Why Is It Important to Store Dirty Diaper Properly?
Dirty diapers can be dangerous for kids if not stored properly. If you are using a wet pail, it must be sealed, and your children must not have access to that area. Drawstrings must be put inside the wet bag so that it is away from the kid’s access. Wet bags are waterproof, so they should be dealt with care because they can cause suffocation hazard to children as the plastic bags do.
Efforts have been made to get the information as accurate and updated as possible. If you found any incorrect information with credible source, please send it via the contact us form
Family Man. He is a family man and married with 1 child. Spent countless nights changing diaper and surprised how outdated diapers are. Nevertheless, there is no solution yet as a parent, just want to research more about diapers.
Read His Personal Blog
Be first to know in our weekly newsletter!