Teething and Nasty Diapers
Teething can result in increase fussiness, chewing behavior, and drooling. In this article, we will try to find out the relationship between teething and nasty diapers.
Most of the parents think there is a direct relationship between teething and nasty diapers. Currently, no studies have shown a correlation between teething and diarrhea. Or you can say no relation between the teething and nasty diapers.
Teething generally starts when the child is six months old. This time can be challenging for both the parents and the child. During this time, your baby might feel irritable and out of sorts.
Signs of Teething
Sometimes babies’ teeth appear without any discomfort and pain. Some babies experience constant pain, and pain gets increasing in four days when the tooth stats to pops up. At this age, your baby can’t tell you that he is in pain, but some signs can tell you, a tooth is on its way. The below-given signs are true indicators of teething:
- Drooling. Babies start to dribble more than usual.
- Babies start to biting and gumming down everything they find. Babies do so because chewing and gnawing provide them relief from pain.
- Babies start to feel distressed, irritable, and more grumpy than usual.
- Sore and red gums.
- You can notice one cheek is flushed.
- Loss in appetite.
- Not feeding well as they usually do.
There can be other symptoms as well, such as the runny nose, ear-rubbing, gum-rubbing, wakefulness, and facial rash.
There can be an increased temperature as well. Make sure that it is not over 38 degrees Celsius.
Your baby might be showing one or all the above symptoms. One thing should be in your mind that no two babies are the same. There will be different symptoms in other babies. So try to find out the changes in behaviors. The best thing to know about teething is to check their mouth to feel whether there is an emerging tooth or not. Use a clean finger and check on upper and lower gums, and you will get to know whether a tooth is coming or not.
Teething and Diarrhea
Most of the parents and cultures relate that there is a relationship between diarrhea and teething. The fact is that there is no association between the two. The idea of a relationship between diarrhea and teething came from marketing efforts (for example, Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup).
If during this age, a child is suffering from diarrhea, parents don’t seek help from doctors as they feel this is because of teething. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration. If your baby is spoiling more diapers than usual, then it’s time to seek an appointment.
Onset of Teething
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, teething usually starts around when the age is 6 months. At the same age, babies start eating solid food. When babies start eating solid food, it will result in a change in baby stools. Parents associate this change in a stool with teething. However, it is because of the change in the food routine. So along with teething the major factor for nasty diapers is solid food.
There is another theory that states; during the teething, an increased amount of saliva is produced. If it is swallowed it results in diarrhea. Although the majority of pediatrics doesn’t agree with this theory and they feel that there is no association between teething and diarrhea. 35% pediatrics believes there is an association between teething and diarrhea.
How to help a teething baby?
Try these tips to soothe a baby’s pain and discomfort.
- During teething, give your babies frozen items to chew on such as a pacifier, teething rings, and frozen foods. All these will soothe gums during teething.
- If the pain is severe, you can give your baby paracetamol. If you are not sure about the dosage, check the instructions label.
- In case your baby is feeling unwell and suffering from fever, then visit the child specialist.
- If the teething rash is developed on the chin then wipe it with a baby wipe or a cotton cloth. Avoid rubbing it. To protect your baby’s skin, try petroleum jelly.
- Some teething gels are also available that provide a numbing effect when they are rubbed. However, most of the pediatrics recommends not using it because too much swelling can be harmful. If you still want to try teething jelly, then make sure that it is formulated for babies and sugar-free.
- If the pain is unbearable and your baby is in constant discomfort, then visit professional health care and seek help for pain relief.
How to protect babies against diaper rash?
If your baby is teething, then no need to worry about it. You can protect your baby against the diaper’s rash, and it will help your babies to feel better. Follow the below-given steps to protect a diaper rash during teething:
- Change the diapers or nappies as soon as they are spoiled.
- Use a protective ointment cream during each diaper change.
- Use a barrier such as baby liner to protect direct contact of a diaper with the baby’s skin, and it will allow the required time for the baby’s skin to recover.
- Change the diaper of a baby at least 5 to 7 times a day. It will keep your baby’s skin dry.
Care for gums and teeth
Before the appearance of any teeth, clean baby’s gums with a damp cloth. Use a small and soft toothbrush for the first few teeth. Don’t straightaway introduce toothpaste and wait for at least 18 months. In this way, you can help your baby’s gums and teeth to stay healthy.
So, in this article, we have tried to find out the relationship between teething and nasty diapers. According to most of the pediatrics, there is no association between teething and nasty diapers. There are lots of other reasons, such as solid food, that can also be the reason for an increased number of spoiled diapers. Don’t worry about the nasty diapers and be proactive during this phase. Look for signs of teething and see how you can help your baby during teething.
Efforts have been made to get the information as accurate and updated as possible. If you found any incorrect information with credible source, please send it via the contact us form
Family Man. He is a family man and married with 1 child. Spent countless nights changing diaper and surprised how outdated diapers are. Nevertheless, there is no solution yet as a parent, just want to research more about diapers.
Read His Personal Blog
Be first to know in our weekly newsletter!